I love sunshine. I really do. We normally go on holiday somewhere with guaranteed sunshine at least once a year and if its sunny in the UK I always make the most of it. This week – not so much. This heatwave has been a little unbearable in this pregnancy. I coped pretty well when pregnant with Izzy even when at my most pregnant in August/September so I’m not sure if its just a lot hotter now or if I’m just not as tolerant. Either way as much as I like waking up to sunshine I could really do with it dropping a few degrees.
A few things have made life a bit easier (cooler) in the past few weeks:
* paddling pool – we put this up for Izzy to enjoy but I’ve found if I sit outside to watch her play but keep my feet in the cool water I can manage it a lot better.
* keeping hydrated – drinking cool drinks keeps me cool – sounds obvious but how often do you forget to drink enough. I’m currently reviewing a sodastream and most days I make a carafe of sparkling water with lemon slices to keep in the fridge and top up my glass as much as I can. I’ve also developed a bit of an obsession for their mojito flavour mocktail (so refreshing) and that’s without my current
love addiction for Schweppes Summer Punch
* spending less time over a hot stove – I love cooking so I find this hard but simple, easy meals are on the menu right now.
* keeping my moisturiser in the fridge – nothing like some cool lotion on your legs at night. Ahhh bliss.
* refreshing leg spray – my mum bought me this lemon, chamomile and lavender spray for pregnant legs and its really cooling and seems to given them a little energy boost.
* not drying/straightening my hair – I have naturally curly (wild) hair so I just wash then leave damp and spray in some sea salt stuff. Sorted. Spending an hour with a heated appliance taming my thick hair is not on the cards right now.
* maxi dresses, cotton undies and super comfy bras – I’m all about comfort.
* We have set up a fan in our bedroom which is really helping at night and I sleep with just a cotton sheet and my gigantic Theraline pillow which I’m a little bit in love with. I need my sleep and with a growing bump and restless legs its not as simple as could be but these things definitely help.
Some tips I’ve had from fellow tweeters:
* running wrists under cool water for an instant refresher – @missamanda77
* ice pops were a life saver – @keeley_ne
I may have also been making ice cream a little bit more lately. I love homemade ice cream and I have been experimenting with various egg free recipes including pomegranate and lime and tonight I made Mango and coconut – delicious. Recipes to follow.
I should point out that although I’m having a moan I am thoroughly enjoying watching my daughter run around in just a swimsuit (sometimes nothing at all) whilst dipping in and out of her paddling pool or running around our local park picking flowers – as much as the heat is getting to me these moments are special and she is so happy.
What did you find helpful during a hot pregnancy?
Your tips are so very welcome.