You may have heard about the #clearaplate campaign from Unilever or even seen the video starring Jimmy Doherty. But have you really thought about it?
The #ClearAPlate campaign from Unilever Project Sunlight, supporting its partnership with Oxfam, launched in November with the Waste Not Want Not research which shows that ‘food poverty’ and ‘food waste’ are issues closer to home than many of us think. The research reveals an alarming paradox:
Over a fifth of parents in struggling households have
skipped meals themselves, in order to feed their children
Yet 75% of us are throwing away food, even struggling families
20% of struggling families have actually borrowed money from family or friends in order to buy food
Yet half of comfortable families in the UK over buy
7 in 10 adults in struggling households feel anxious
and stressed about not having enough to eat
Yet 1 in 10 of us think food is so cheap it doesn’t matter if we throw it away
Things need to change.
#ClearAPlate to help the hungry.
Unilever has launched the #ClearAPlate campaign which pledges to provide an additional half a million meals to families in need through its partnership with Oxfam and calls on people to do their bit to address food waste, in order to help fight hunger.
People can show their support for the #ClearAPlate campaign through three simple steps:
• CLEAR their plate of food and take a photograph
• UPLOAD the image on their social media using #ClearAPlate to raise awareness of the issue
• VISIT www.ProjectSunlight.co.uk to find out other ways to support the campaign, including donating meals or time to Oxfam. People can also find tips and advice on reducing food waste and clever recipe ideas
I’ve got a fabulous hamper of goodies that you can win to help us raise awareness of the campaign. Simply enter the rafflecopter competition at the bottom of this page and you could win the following:
The giveaway hamper is worth £50 and will contain:
· Colourful kitchen whisk
· Measuring spoons
· Fridge magnets with imperial/metric conversions
· Measuring Jug
· Multicoloured/stacking food containers
· Reusable cupcake cases,
· Egg Timer
· Shopping list/meal planner notebook
· Window planter with seeds
· Leftovers Cookbook