Teething doesn’t just affect the baby. It has an impact on the whole family. There is less sleep and more tears so everyone is tired and grumpy. Snappy and surly.
Your normally smiley, happy baby is a like a different child. Crying, clingy..also tired. Your other children get frustrated as so much of your time is taken up with comforting the baby.
If you breastfeed there is every chance that your baby will decide that your nipples look like great teething toys and that normal feeding will be interrupted as their poor gums are so sore. Being bitten on both nipples after a night of extreme comfort feeding is far from pleasant.
So what can you do?
Teething has to happen which is unfortunate for both babies and parents but there are lots of ways to soothe by various methods:
* Using teething toys straight from the fridge. We like Munchkin teething toys and also Sophie the giraffe.
* If you are wearing try using cold chunks of cucumber so that they can gnaw away with the cold slightly numbing the pain. Frozen fruits in a mesh feeder can also be helpful
* Crusts of bread/breadsticks work well to chew on as do soft weaning spoons – always keep a close eye on your child when eating to avoid choking.
* Use medicines when it gets extreme. Homeopathic medicines such as Camilia are excellent at soothing and come in single-dose containers which are easy to carry and perfect for holidays/festivals or just out and about. They help with easing the pain and irritability of a teething child and can be used 2-3 times a day.
* Most teething babies get nappy rash so try to avoid this by using a good barrier cream.
* Distraction – sometimes the pain will be too much for them and you will need to distract them until it eases. I find playing loud, happy music or singing her favourite songs can help.
*Comfort – Your baby is upset and in pain so lots of cuddles, feeds and kisses are what he/she is craving so be generous with them and remember it really doesn’t last forever.
Here is a little more information about Camilia:
Camilia® Oral Solution is a homeopathic medicinal product used within the homeopathic tradition for the relief of teething pain and other minor symptoms associated with teething in babies and toddlers.
Chamomilla 9C – Relieves teething pain accompanied by irritability
Phytolacca decandra 5C – Relieves painful gums
Rheum officinale 5C – Relieves minor digestive disorders associated with teething
As with any medicines please be sure to read the label
Camilia is becoming available in UK wide pharmacies and is also available in Boots.
*This post was written in collaboration with Camilia. All opinions are my own.
Speak Your Mind