I have been a long time lover of Autumn. As a child my favourite time was always September when the leaves began to turn and conkers covered my walk to school. As an adult I have grown to love it even more, so I thought I would tell you why.
There is another reason behind the post. I am lost for words a little at the moment. I feel that what I write just isn’t up to scratch. I am putting it down to a busy few months and trying to get my mojo back so I thought a bit of less pressured writing about nothing and everything was needed, so expect some rambles off me this weekend.
Anyway back to this post. Autumn. Fall.. the Golden Season. Oh I love it so. Did any of you ever sing that song in school assemblies? The one that began with the line:
Autumn days when the grass is jewelled and the silk inside a chestnut shell…
I’ve been humming that lately. The song goes on to say.. The smell of bacon as I fasten up my laces and the song the milkman sings..no wonder I was always hungry in school assemblies. BACON.
Here are the reasons I love Autumn or Fall wherever you may be in the world:
1. Crunchy leaves. Or more specifically walking through them, crunching and kicking them up into the air like a child.
2. The colours. There is something special about the colours on a perfectly crisp Autumnal day. The sky looks a different kind of blue and every gold or red leaf stands out like art. Gorgeous deep brown shiny conkers are sprinkled all over the pavements and it is a great time to take photos so I am hoping to get lots of recipes created and shot over the next few weeks.
3. The temperature. Ah this is just the perfect temp for me. I love gorgeously sunny hot weather but only really if I am not working and have the time to enjoy it. I don’t love being cold..that is an understatement. So September/October weather is just right. I can layer up in my favourite warm clothes but I don’t need a big bulky coat. Perfect.
4. The clothes. Ah the clothes. Autumn clothes are my fave. Soft, comfy knits, shirt dresses with tights and boots and YES all the knitted hats. If you know me then you know I am a hat person. I don’t actually know how many I own but I always have room in my wardrobe for just one more. I don’t wear them because I think they suit me or make me look good, they probably don’t. I just like being comfy, I have loads of thick hair which gets in my face if I don’t wear one and yes sometimes it is just to disguise a bad hair day. Expect to see me in a knitted hat if you see me anytime before April..
5. The food. Autumn food is comfort food to me. Dishes filled with flavour and spice. Traditional dishes such as cottage pie or new creations like the baked brown sugar squash I made last Autumn or the Pumpkin cheese fondue I have coming up next month.
6. The drinks. Just as important as the food. Autumn is the time for chai lattes, hot chocolate with whipped cream and maybe time to start on the Baileys and Mulled cider? Although Pumpkin Spiced Lattes seem to be for everyone else they aren’t really for me..
7. Time to cwtch up, get cosy or dare I say it…Hygge. I can totally justify an entire day in indoor clothes, slouchy jumpers and long socks watching films, eating good food and getting all snug under one of my MANY fleecy throws. Oh why not just light up some candles too and make it a perfect day.
What do you love about Autumn?